Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Courtyard ((a poem)(and Commentary on: "Specific Poetry"))

The Courtyard

Do not weep for me this day
as you lower me down into
my grave, for I am, a million
miles away…a million miles
and then some. So do not
look here and there, within,
this courtyard, rather look up,
up into the blue, blue sky—
there you’ll find me, every alive;
there I’ll be passing by, in
a whisper of the night, in a
chill within the winters light,
in the colours of an autumn
leaf, within a rhyme of some-
one’s poetry: with Christ.

No: 2410 /6-29-2008

Dedicated to my wife Rosa.



Commentary: “Specific Poetry”: Some poetry is specific in that it is carved out of, or into the roots of ones beliefs, culture, and means what it means within perhaps its own language and genre (being religious our having a philosophic view), or whatever: it becomes different once you change the dynamics, thus, the characteristics or descriptions change. In essence, the language in which the poet writes can be specific as can be his meanings in his poetry, and hard for the reader to understand because of his specific beliefs, culture, and therefore he perhaps writes for a specific group also. And so, in a nutshell, not all types of poetry are meant for all peoples, or for today’s globalized world—as a whole, and it might be wise for the reader at times to look at this and consider this when reading another’s poetry, or take that into consideration. An example might be, Anne Sexton, who writes specific poetry, in that she writes confessional poetry. We all can perhaps understand her poetry, but if you are a psychologist, you will understand it better I believe, or if you are of a mental disorder such as depression, you will see the characteristics or her descriptions much more clearer than the average reader, and I say this with all respect intended to writer and reader. In a like manner, if you are a recovering alcoholic, you may understand my poetry better then another person, when I am writing on addictions in general, or the hardships I’ve endured because of this wild chemical that commands and demands for its pry to submit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home